Happy New Year! As much as the clean slate and encouragement to do all the right things feels exciting it can also feel overwhelming. Suddenly we’re supposed to switch from Christmas cookies to all the kale salads? My plans for the upcoming year usually start in November, with my blogaversary but after some post-holiday clean up, I was feeling jazzed and inspired to help for those whose resolutions include the kitchen! By now we’re definitely into January but the number date doesn’t have to dictate when to get started on good habits!
I’m interested by the idea of a word for the year and I’m loving the lists of “more XYZ; less ABC” as a way to set some intentions versus specific goals. I asked on instagram what some food/kitchen related resolutions were which led me here!
If you’re trying to be more intentional with meal planning:
- Capsule Meal Planning: gives yourself some structure & starting points to plan a week of meals
- meal planning in 5 steps
- also, write it down! It helps you plan, shop, visually see what’s ahead (so you can prep ahead somewhat) and anyone else who is eating can see it!
- my fav grocery app (Anylist) is now on apple & andriod! Hallelujah! We tried so many when we weren’t both on iphones. You can share the list with family members annnnd save a photo with an item- if you’re super particular about say, pita bread, like me! You can even connect recipes so you shop for all the groceries. I keep lists for groceries, Costco, Trader Joe’s and Target.
If you’re wanting some smart breakfast ideas:
- Lightened Breakfast Burritos to Freeze
- 2-ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- Avocado Toast with make-your-own Everything Bagel Seasoning
If packing your lunch needs some attention:
- Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad is perfect in a sandwich, wrap, or on a salad.
- Anything stuffed into crescents will reheat perfectly ifff you have access to a toaster oven
- Kale Pesto Soup with white beans uses your dinner leftovers (kale pesto which is great on pork & polenta or on pasta) into the next day’s lunch
- Grain Bowls will forever be my fav lunch
If you have a new appliance to play with:
- Blender: Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie is my fav, and starts the day with a fruit, a veg, yogurt – perfect!
- Pressure Cooker: 6 minute risotto made into bacon, white cheddar, and everything bagel seasoning risotto topped with an egg is the best.
- Pizza Stone: Make all the pizzas on a stone like this pear & pancetta or chicken marsala pizza or steakhouse flatbreads
- Pasta Maker: lasagna rolls or fall fettuccine
If you’re wanting to do more meal prep in advance
(like me!) I’ll be sharing some of those tips on instagram.
Don’t feel the January pressure to do all the things. Take something that you WANT to do and just stick to that. Or pick a new resolution or intention for each month!
Year of organizing/decluttering
Advanced food prep